Friday, October 28, 2011

Sick, Play writes and Movies

Ever had to call in sick to work? I have. Every time I call in I feel the need to sound worse than I actually feel.  Just at the sheer chance that my boss wont believe me. I have no reason to feel this way. She’s never said HA! I think you’re faking! Come back into work! No, no that would be just evil. And yet it crosses my mind. 
The fiendish day when I go back into work after being sick, I have to respond to 15 different questions on if I’m feeling better. Not that my co-workers actually care. But because they are envious of the time I got away; like a fugitive that escaped prison. They are one in the same in my world.

Yesterday I watched this movie Loss of a Teardrop Diamond, when it was over I had to watch the Special Features hoping it would explain the movie. Cuz I didn’t get it. Right when Bryce Dallas Howard gets her man, it ends. I was disappointed. If I just scored Chris Evans as my boyfriend I’d want my ending to be longer, or better yet… a sequel!  Or maybe just a montage of us making-out. That would be totally fine with me. I’d even do that for free. Some actors are just lucky that way. Earning a fortune AND making out with Chris Evans?  That’s just too much to handle.

This movie was written by Tennessee Williams. He was some fancy shmansy writer back in the day who could poop out award winning scripts and live off the money he made from it for the rest of his life.  (Lucky!) I remember reading some of his works back in college and the same thought occurs to me today. I don’t get it. Why is this good? Most his stories are things that might be shared in a psychologists office, not sold for public consumption. In the Glass Menagerie, what happens? The girl with gimp legs FINALLY gets her first kiss, and the guy says WHOOPS! I have a fiancé, SORRY!  And runs off.  Personally that’s the kind of embarrassing stories I find myself erasing from my journal late at night (not really). But seriously, I don’t like remembering stupid things that happen, let alone read about it.

And in the Teardrop Diamond film, Chris Evans admits to the entire party of mean spirited Southern folk that Bryce Dallas Howards character bought him those fancy clothes (he was a simple farm boy) and paid him to go with her (way to go Chris!).  Poor little Bryce didn’t have a chance at popularity. No one liked her anyway because her daddy put a lot of people out of work. She had no friends already and then Chris had to go make things worse. Things just kept going down hill from there. She got made fun of a lot and she ended up getting high off opium to deal with her embarrassment.  One thing I would sincerely like to know, is why does Tennessee Williams consider this his greatest work? Is it cuz she’s so trapped? I’d like to understand what it is about this writer that makes people say “Man, that’s really good!” What is it, specifically? Maybe it was just a different time. I have no clue. Someone, please, enlighten me.

Footloose
Now that was a classic movie. Footloose, makes me want to get up and dance. In the original I could out-dance any of those queer folk on screen. In the new version, the pressure is on! They did a good job modernizing it, but it felt like a rip off from the old version. Sure the storyline was more clear, but they used all the same songs at the same parts and used a ton of the original dialogue, as well as prom costumes at the end. What, was that about? They couldn’t update those prom outfits a bit? Those kids looked weird wearing Kevin Bacon’s clothes. Its sad to say that most kids that watched it today didn’t even know there was an original. With that I wipe a tear from my eye. 

Captain America

You like little guys with big hearts? Captain America’s you’re man. This movie was so fantastic it doesn’t need to be talked up. I was rooting for the little guy the whole time! (even when he became a bigger guy) Add the brave little guys sense of humor to the big beefy Chris Evans body and POOF!  There was born every girls dream (sigh). Who was the unexpected comedic genius? Tommy Lee Jones! Every word out of that guys mouth had me LOLing hard.  Tommy can do comedy in his sleep, without even trying.
I can’t wait for the Avenger’s when we get to see every superhero in the Marvel industry come into action. Looking forward to seeing how that all-star cast mixes together. Especially the Iron Man’s acerbic wit mixed with Thor’s godly pride.

That’s all for now. Stay tuned for more reviews slash random thoughts by Vanessa!

1 comment:

  1. Haha. Guess you were in inspired or something, although clearly not by my blog. And you know what I have to say about work, so I'll keep those comments to myself.

    ReplyDelete