Sunday, June 7, 2020

The World Appears to Have Gone Crazy


I saw the video. I felt disgusted as I watched Derek Chauvin, a police officer sworn to protect, kneel on the neck of George Floyd. More so when bystanders told him to get off, he ignored them and kept kneeling while three of his fellow officers looked the other way. It was wrong! And it cost a man his life. I am pained for his family as they watch their country tearing itself apart, I hear their pleas for America to stop vandalizing in George Floyd’s name.
I see chaos. I see malice. I see protesters blocking highways. I see police officers with families to feed, who have sworn to protect citizens, getting attacked and their cars burned. I see governors doing nothing about it. All this amounts to hate. It isn’t about George Floyd anymore. You’re not helping George Floyd’s family by stealing from Target or beating store owners, and looting passing trains.  It isn’t about Black Lives Matter anymore. It boils down to hate, that’s all it is.
I applaud those who have been in peaceful protest, but I ache for those families who have been affected around the U.S, no matter what your race. People are hurting on both sides here. I read a post of a police officer’s wife who said her husband (who was disgusted by the actions of Chauvin) was getting cussed out 12 hours a day while on duty. Just because you’re a police officer, does not mean you’re a racist. I also saw the photo of a white officer high fiving a black woman because he too was protesting. Just because your Caucasian, doesn’t make you’re a racist. And just because you’re a person of color, it doesn’t make you a criminal. There is a lot of bad blood out there. Isn’t it time we embrace a little more healing? To stand by each other with support, love, and forgiveness?
Derek Chauvin is in jail looking at a 35-year sentence for his blatant disregard for human life. The culprits are getting punished. Stop punishing our officers and stores and anyone else that gets in the way of the rampage of hate that’s happening. This is a plea, not a political statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment